The Yellow Delta Trap® and a Yellow Delta Trap® Sticky Liner are used in the capturing of various storage pests (Trogoderma granaries, Trogoderma inclusun, Trogoderma variable, Lasioderma serricorne, Plodia interpunctella, Ephestia kuehniella, Cadra cautelle, Ephestia elutella and Cadra figulilella). The Yellow Delta Trap® consists of a yellow coryx (plastic 3mm) trap, wire and white plastic lure cage. The wire is used to hang the trap. The sticky liner is placed inside the trap and the semiochemical lure is placed inside the white plastic lure cage. After the sides have been closed, the trap is ready for placement. A data sheet is printed on the bottom of the trap to record moth counts during weekly inspections.
The rubber septa used to attract various storage pests that go into the trap is known as the S.P. PheroLure®. The S.P. PheroLure® needs to be replaced every six (6) weeks. Any extra S.P. PheroLures® should be kept in their individual foil pouches in a fridge in order to prolong their shelf life before use.
How, where and when to hang traps
- How: Always hang the trap within 4m of the monitoring area in the warehouse/storeroom. This will allow for maximum airflow, to distribute the semiochemical molecules (which are heavier than air) across the monitoring area. Avoid hanging traps in the working rows to avoid damage. Identify each trap by a trap/ block number for later reference.
- Where: A map or layout of the warehouse/storeroom will assist in the correct placement of traps. In warehouses/storerooms with uniform shape, size and air vents, hang 1 trap per every 100m2. This is the maximum area that can be monitored by a single trap. A higher trap density (more traps per 100m2) may be necessary for unevenly shaped warehouses/storerooms.
- When: Place traps in the warehouse/storeroom as soon as products are placed in the storage facility.
Inspection and maintenance of traps
- Inspection: The traps should be inspected weekly on the same day of each week (7-day intervals). The number of storage pests caught in the trap, together with the trap number and date needs to be recorded.
- Maintenance: Replace sticky liner if necessary. Unless the sticky liners are in very good condition, it is recommended that they be replaced at least every six to eight (6 – 8) weeks.
Disposal of lures
S.P. PheroLures® need to be replaced every six (6) weeks and used S.P. PheroLures® can be disposed of in the garbage. No special precautions are required as D.B.M. PheroLure® is considered of no concern to human and environmental health.
S.P. PheroLure® is sold in individual foil pouches at 3 per pack, or in bulk at 100 per pack in a big foil pouch.