Z-11- Hexadecen-1- yl Acetate 0,355 mg / lure
Z-9- Tetradecen-1- yl Acetate 1,636 mg / lure
Z-7- Dodecen-1- yl Acetate 0,009 mg / lure
Placement of lure and trap assembly
- The F.A.W. PheroLure ® rubber septum is designed for use in a Yellow Bucket Funnel Trap ®
together with a Dichlorvos Block.
- To assemble the Insect Science Yellow Bucket Funnel Trap ® , insert the pheromone cage into the
opening on the top of the dome lid. Close the cage with the given cage lid.
- Join the dome lid and the funnel by firmly attaching the four rods protruding from the bucket into
the slots in the bottom of the funnel and twisting the funnel so that the tabs lock into the slots.
- A wire is then inserted through “ears” on the top of the dome lid.
- Remove the F.A.W. PheroLure ® rubber septa from the foil pouch and place inside the cage.
- Close the cage with the lid to secure the F.A.W. PheroLure ® rubber septa inside.
- The Dichlorvos Block are placed inside the bucket at the bottom to kill all insects entering the
Placement of the trap in the orchard or fields
- Orchards should be divided up into monitoring areas of approximately 5 hectare; this is the
maximum area that can be monitored by a single trap.
- The trap should be placed in the middle of the 5-hectare area.
- A higher trap density may be necessary where the field or orchard is not uniform in shape, where
there are steep slopes and gulley’s.
- Prevailing winds may also affect the trap effectiveness and therefore a higher density may be
- Suspend the trap onto a trap stand or top 1/3 or the crop that will ensure effective pheromone
- Ensure that the trap is not hung in the working row to avoid mechanical damage from tractors etc.
- Remove all leaves and branches that may obstruct entrance to the trap.
- Place trap in the direction of the prevailing winds to maximise spreading of the pheromone.
Identify every trap with a number for reference and recording purposes.
Timing of trap placement
Place traps out at the beginning of the production season.
- F.A.W. PheroLure ® rubber septa should be replaced every 5 – 6 weeks.
- Remove the used lures from the field or orchard and destroy them.
- IIt is imperative that trap catches be recorded weekly and preferably on the same day each week.
- Record the number of moths caught, the trap number and date.
- After Fall Armyworm counts have been recorded, males must be removed from the trap.
Interpretation of trap counts
The counts obtained from the trap are indications of the population pressure and dynamics thus consultation with your local pest management advisor for accurate interpretation of the moth counts is advisable.